Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Thoughts on the Boston Bombing

First, I hope everyone pulls through and no more deaths occur during this time.  What happened on Monday was tragic and terrible and I hope they find the person or persons responsible for this.

Now, let's get to the real reason why I'm writing this: You guys have no chill.  It's been two days and already the conspiracy theorists are out and about, the terrible jokes have been chuckled at and the pictures of dismemberment has been shown about 30 times.  It's Wednesday.  And I'm not even talking about Twitter, I'm talking Facebook.  

It's hard to believe but for me to say something stupid on Facebook is pretty easy.  I have a general rule of thumb when it comes to posting anything on FB, 1) will it get my sister's attention where I'll have to hear about it at home, 2) don't say something stupid and 3) tone down on the cursing, I'll say shit but not bitch or any other curse words mainly because of rule 1.

The Boston bombing shows me people don't have any rules when it comes to posting anything FB, they just blurt out anything that will get them a reaction.  Opened ended status: "Ugh! Why does this have to happen to me?", "I'm heartbroken right now", "Oh you wanna talk shit you bitch!"  Just waiting for someone to answer: "You okay hun?  Wanna talk about it?"
 

Posting about a tragedy happening in another country while a tragedy is currently happening in North America is super petty.  Why SHOULD I care about the daily attacks that happen in a third world country, when something like someone planting bombs trying to blow off innocent people's kneecaps happen very rarely here?  Boston is not too far from here, it's a day trip to get there.  How long does it take to get to Islam?  I bet money this isn't the top story on Al-jazeera TV over there.  After breaking the news, this story comes on before they go to weather.  

Don't feel high and mighty when everyone else is talking about a news breaking tragedy in North America and you want to bring up what's going on in a country that you don't care about. Whether or not it's your homeland, it's pretty fuckin' petty when you do that shit.  Oh it's your birthday today?  It was my birthday, 7 months ago too, oh well *Kanye shrug*.  I think people feel some type of glory because nothing ever happens in Canada.  No attack, no type of domestic terrorism, no tragedy, nothing!  They feel like they're in an igloo.  They see what's happening from their screens and feel nothing will happen to them because they're in this igloo of Canada and no one thinks any type of threat will come to or from someone in an igloo.  Canadian STEREOTYPES!
 

I remember when Sandy Hook shooting happen, I was generally sad.  I hated to see harm happen to babies, that was one of the rare times I texted peopled with younger siblings or family members and told them "hug your young one a little tighter tonight iight?"  Within hours, there was skepticism on the validity of this story.  I should have known better that within hours, the conspiracy theory posts were gonna happen.  "What's that shadowy figure on the roof?"; "There's a teacher from the Sandy Hook shooting that was at the marathon!";  "Illuminati exposed!"  Really?
 

And hey man, take no shade from this.  I'm writing this as I was watching (really listened to) the Utah Jazz playoff dreams disappear.  But umm, yeah few points if you wanna skip all that.  

  • Think before you press Post 
  • A little warning before you post that pic of someone without their limbs
  • Don't overshadow tragedy with another tragedy and...
  • Don't say something stupid

Peace

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment