Friday, August 2, 2013

The Road Ahead



I know what's at the end of my road and it's a job.  A job in advertising, copywriting.  Writing headlines, body copy, blog posts, blurbs that will end up in magazines or a brand site.  Will there be accommodations or perks when I get there?  I don't know, not everyone gets the freebies at the end of the road.

I've taken a few pit stops on my ride to the end of the road.  I've grabbed a cup of coffee, stuck around for the lunch special and in some cases took the newspaper with me to the bathroom.  All because my ride to the end of the road ran out of gas.

"There's just not any room right now."
"We can only have x amount of people at the time."
"We'll call you if anything opens up."
"There's just not enough work right now."

Is it my fault?  No.  There's nothing I can do about the hiring process except doing the job to the best of my ability.  It's just the circumstances when I arrive.  They have an open slot, they have work needed to be done, work gets done, then there's a stand still.  That's how it's always been.

I know I'm capable of being better than I am now.  I know I'm capable of finding a place that will constantly challenge me.  I know I'm capable of this but... nothing has given me that chance or opportunity.  When that opportunity has opened, it seems to close as soon as I get in.

Right now I'm on the side of the road.  With my head under the hood of my ride fixing something that isn't broken.  Maybe if I tweak this, it'll make me get there faster.  Maybe if I change a tire, my ride will be smoother.  What else can I do to make it to the end of my road?  Or will have to take another pit stop, if I find one, just to find some place of entitlement?  I'm tired, real tired but I know I have a long way to go to get to where I want to be.

In my years trying to get to the end of this road, I never stuck my thumb out for a free ride.  Never piggybacked off of someone else or tailgated to get to where I wanted.  It's not me, in the past I've been offered rides but as soon as those offers opened up, the door closed.  When I look back at my ride, will I be satisfied how I got there whether it was based on my own merit or on someone else's.

Well I gotta get back on the road because no one stops to see the car at the side of the road.  I know I can get there, to the end of the road, whether or not I'll find another pit-stop or get on the right path toward that road.  Heck I could be on the wrong road this whole time.  Won't know until I get back behind the wheel.

No comments:

Post a Comment